Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Twitter VS Reddit For Blog Views

As some of you might know, a couple days ago I posted a huge list of the Top 50 Websites Every YouTube Gaming Channel Needs To Know.

You can check that post out here!

My post received over 1,000 views in 24 hours, and it's still getting quite a lot daily views!

Prior to posting my blog, I did some follow for follow Twitter stuff with gaming channels, and I found an amazing subreddit for YouTubers with gaming channels that didn't seem that amazing at the time.
Reddit has so many more views than Twitter
Once the blog post was live, I shared it with over 300 gaming channels on twitter, hoping that they might retweet it and I'd get loads of views.
I also posted it in the /letsplay subreddit, hoping to get a couple dozen views from there.

Reddit dominating my blog statistics pageWhat happened next absolutely blew me away.

I got a whole 3 views from Twitter within 48 hours of publishing the post, and 753 Reddit views within the same time-frame. (The stats are not exact because... Well I'm not sure.)

As you can see in the picture below, my post actually got 1067 views up to this point, and I'm guessing a majority of them were from Reddit.

Reddit Wins Over Twitter For Blog Views


This completely changed my perspective on what I thought I knew about getting views to my posts. I thought that the Twitter gamers would be incredibly interested in these websites, but my tweet probably got lost in the thousands of other tweets their followers posted that day.

On Reddit however, I got 10 upvotes within a couple minutes which maxed out at 40-something upvotes after a day. This crazy number of votes allowed me to stay at the top of the Hot category for nearly a day and a half, and if I optimized my Reddit posting time a little bit more, and engaged with the people in the subreddit a little more before I made my post, I think I could've stayed at the top of the page for at least 3 or more days.

This just shows you that you should test and retest everything. Even if you think you know what's going to happen.

Obviously for my next huge post, I'll be focusing hard on Reddit and trying to climb to the top of the Hot list and stay there for a couple days. I'll still try to get some Twitter views, but I don't know how I'm going to do that yet.

As always, thank you for reading! If you have any ideas for what I should write about, or you have questions or comments about this, please comment on this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment